Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Years Resolution Time!

I know I'm a bit late, but Happy New Year! My resolution this year is to give up pork and I am going to try to stand firm by that. It's not really that hard for me because I really haven't had pork in weeks and haven't had the desire for even pepperoni pizza. My next resolution, which is probably everyone's, is to eat healthier.

I work at a really crappy restaurant and make NOTHING, but I already had money from Christmas and stuff so I decided to take my whole paycheck and buy some healthy things. I went to both Trader Joe's and Earth Fare because those are two of the only health food stores in the area. Trader Joe's is cheaper so I always go there first and try to find everything I need and then I go to Earth Fare to buy the remainder.

From Trader Joes (total cost $31):
  • Trader Joe's spelt bread
  • TJ's Honey Nut O's
  • some other honey flake cereal I can't remember the name
  • TJ's guacamole kit
  • TJ's Go Raw Trek Mix (pack of 10)
  • Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
  • TJ's pita crackers
  • I'm probably forgetting something, but if so, I will update the list later
From Earth Fare (total cost $37):
So that is my list. Now I am able to have breakfast and snacks and stuff with no problem. My mom coincidentally went grocery shopping today too, so she brought all the fruit. We have green apples, pears, oranges, and tangerines. She also bought me two more rice milks so I am set at least for the next month or so.

The boyfriend and I made guacamole dip from the TJ's kit (2 rip avocados, 2 tomatoes, garlic clove, and an onion) and just added a few pinches of Celtic sea salt and it was THE BOMB! We didn't eat all the rest, but I put in in the fridge so I can eat it as a snack for the rest of the week with my pita chips.

So for my next shopping trip I would like to buy more vegetables but I don't know what I'm going to do with them. I can't see myself just sitting at the table eating some kale and cabbage by itself. I want to incorporate more vegetables in my diet (because those are like those most important thing besides protein) but some vegetables are just gross. I need a juicer, but all the good ones cost money. What I REALLY want is a Vita-Mix 5200, but I know that's not going to happen anytime soon. If anyone knows of a good juicer that is not $450 that I can use until I hit the lottery, please feel free to let me know.

No comments: